What is a crossover?

A crossover or private crossing is located between the road edge and the property line.

Crossovers are primarily constructed to:

  • Allow access to your property
  • Help to reduce erosion of the verge area
  • Provide pedestrians with a safer area to walk

A properly constructed crossover will also enhance the streetscape and property value.

Location of crossovers

The location of the crossover must be clearly located on your building plan and must be constructed in accordance with the City’s crossover specifications as detailed below.

Council contribution

The City may contribute 50% (to a maximum amount of $400) towards the construction of an approved crossover, where this meets the requirements detailed in Council's Crossover Policy

Conditions and specifications

Materials used to construct crossovers

The following material can be used to construct crossovers:

  • Concrete (plain grey or coloured)
  • Brick/Block – paving
  • Asphalt (subject to Council’s approval) which may be coloured.


Crossovers must be constructed by a registered contractor and must be built in accordance with Council’s specifications and to Council’s satisfaction.

Any unauthorised or substandard work may need to be removed at the owner’s expense.

The construction of a new and ongoing maintenance of a crossover is the responsibility of the homeowner.

It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the contractor carrying out the work is aware of Council’s requirements.

The City’s detailed crossover specifications are provided below.

Application forms

Page Last Reviewed 7 December 2021