Page image


It is the responsibility of residents with stock to ensure the fences are kept to an adequate standard. Particularly those properties which are adjacent to highways or roads. Owners and occupiers of grazing properties are liable for any damages or injuries that may occur as a result of stock wandering outside the property boundary.

Failure to securely confine stock could result in animals being impounded. Impoundment costs and/or additionally possible modified penalty may also be incurred.

The City may also issue a fencing notice on the property owner, which requires them to bring their fencing up to a required standard to ensure the stock are securely contained.  

It is vital that together we make our roads as safe as possible for motorists.  


Residents are permitted to keep poultry on their property in the City of Armadale. You do not need to inform the City that you keep chickens but there are Local Laws that set the conditions in which the poultry may be kept. 

Poultry permitted in residential areas include chickens/hens, ducks and other birds kept commonly for the production of eggs for domestic consumption. Peafowls, geese, guinea fowls, turkeys or roosters are not permitted.

Other than a rural zone, the occupier of the property can keep up to 20 poultry.

More information, including conditions for keeping poultry, is provided in the information sheet below.



Residents must obtain written approval from the City to keep a beehive in a residential area (or any area within 500m from a thoroughfare). Residents may keep up to two bee hives on a residential lot. Approval may be granted for more than two hives on a lot that is over 2,000m2.

To be permitted to keep bees you must:

  1. Register with the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development. You will then be issued with a “Certificate of Registration as a Beekeeper” which will specify which type/brand of hive you will be permitted to keep. 

  2. Apply to the City’s Health Services team, attach your registration certificate from DPIRD and a map of the proposed area, the map must show that:

    • The bees are provided with a nearby water supply

    • The bees are kept 10m from any boundary fence (unless otherwise appropriately screened).

  3. Make payment of the application fee (see Schedule of fees and charges below)

  4. Allow a Health Officer to inspect the area where the bees are to be kept.

Then, if there are no concerns, you will be issued with a permit to keep bees.  

Nuisance bees, swarming bees and bee removal

Bee hive on Council Land

If bee hives are causing a nuisance on Council-owned land, please call the City on 9394 5000 or email.

Bee hive on private property

Bee hives on private property are the owner or occupier's responsibility. If a bee swarm or hive on private property is causing problems, it may constitute a nuisance.

The City recommends that you try to resolve this directly with the property owner in the first instance, as they may be unaware of any problems.

You may contact the City to report and investigate the bee hive. Please call 9394 5000 or email.

To remove a bee hive on your property

To remove a hive from your own property you may wish to contract a local bee keeper or pest controller, please see our list of Local pest control and bee keepers. A list is provided below.

Swarming bees

Swarming is part of the natural reproduction of bee colonies. If bee swarms are left alone, they will not sting and will generally keep to themselves. In spring or in warm weather, the swarm will leave the hive, and cluster in one place to protect the queen while worker bees search for a new home. In most instances unless there is rain, the swarm will move on to continue the search for a new home.

Take the following precautions against bees:

  • Do not hose, throw rocks at, or smoke the swarm    
  • Keep children and pets away from the swarm
  • Keep clear of the swarm or cluster
  • Wear suitable footwear outside.

Page Last Reviewed 6 September 2023