Types of building permits

Anyone can apply for a building permit. The applicant is responsible for submitting a complete application. The builder is responsible for completing the works outlined in the permit.

There are two types of building permit applications, “certified” and “uncertified”.

Uncertified – BA2 application form

An uncertified application is as follows:

  • Submitted without a certificate of design compliance
  • Can be used for residential buildings (class 1a and 10), this includes a dwelling, patio, shed or the like
  • Is assessed by a building surveyor employed at the city.

Certified – BA1 application form

A certified application is as follows:

  • Submitted with a certificate of design compliance
  • Can be used for any type of building 
  • Is assessed by a building surveyor employed at the city.

Important note:

  • Further information requested must be received within 21 calendar days
  • If requested information is not received, an application may be refused.

How to apply for a building permit

Application forms

Application forms can be downloaded from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety website.

Lodging your application

Once you have completed the application form, it must be lodged with fee payment to the City. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the easiest and safest way to lodge a building application is via email building@armadale.wa.gov.au. A Building Services officer will contact you for credit card details via phone. Please do not enclose credit card information with emailed applications for security reasons. 

Alternatively, you can submit your application in person at the City's Administration office located at 7 Orchard Avenue, Armadale or via Australia Post. Please note with these options there will processing delays due to safety protocols relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.


Application fees are provided below.

Notice of building completion (Notice of Completion)

A nominated builder or contractor must complete a 'BA7 - Notice of Completion' for completed works. This establishes the end date of the permit.
Important notes:

  • A BA7 must be submitted within 7 days of completing the work
  • It must include any relevant inspection or test certificates 
  • The nominated builder or contractor remains liable for the work until a BA7 has been submitted.

Cancelling a building permit (Notice of Cessation)

A nominated builder or contractor can submit 'BA8 - Notice of Cessation' for incomplete works. A BA8 identifies at what stage building works have ceased. 
Important notes:

  • The builder must submit a BA8 to the City within 7 days of works ceasing
  • The builder must provide a copy of the BA8 to the owner within 7 days. 

Amending building permit or builder details


A 'BA19 - Request to Amend Building Permit or Builder's Details' form can be submitted in the following circumstances relating to the nominated builder:

  • Insolvency
  • Death
  • Disappearance

For more information, please refer to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety guidance note on amending a permit (located under the BA19 form link).

Extend a building permit

A 'BA22 - Application to Extend Time - Building or Demolition Permit' can be submitted to the City to request an extension to an existing building permit.

More information

For more information please contact us.

See also: Building and construction site management (for information on requirements related to noise and site rubbish/refuse).

Page Last Reviewed 22 May 2020