The City provides two green waste collections per calendar year.
Green waste we collect:
Tree branches and shrub prunings
- Maximum length 1.5 metres (5 feet)
- Maximum diameter 150mm (6 inches)
- Place cut ends towards the street
Lawn clippings, leaves and cuttings
- Pile these with tree branches - please do not place in boxes or bags!
Alternatively lawn clippings, leaves and smaller cuttings are ideal for composting or can be placed in your general waste bin (not recycling bin) for disposal.
Items we do not collect:
- Treated wood or sawn timber
- General household rubbish or junk
- Green waste placed in boxes, plastic bags, chaff or hessian sacks
- Green waste contaminated with rubbish, wire or plastic
- Branches/limbs longer than 1.5 m (five feet)
- Tree trunks, stumps or limbs larger than 150 mm (six inches) in diameter
- Garden chemicals or gardening products such as pots, soils and reticulation
- Artificial lawn
- More than 6 cubic metres of green waste
To find out your verge collection zone enter your address at the bottom of the page.
|ZONE||AUTUMN COLLECTION START||SPRING COLLECTION START|
|1||3 May 2021||11 October 2021|
|2||27 April 2021||4 October 2021|
|3||19 April 2021||28 September 2021|
|4||8 June 2021||18 October 2021|
|5||14 June 2021||25 October 2021|
|6||22 March 2021||6 September 2021|
|7||29 March 2021||13 September 2021|
|8||12 April 2021||20 September 2021|
|9||21 June 2021||1 November 2021|
|10||28 June 2021||8 November 2021|
|11||28 June 2021||15 November 2021|
|12||15 March 2021||30 August 2021|
|13||15 March 2021||30 August 2021|
Please Note: The dates in this table are subject to change, keep checking closer to your collection date for any updates.
Collection dates will be provided in the Waste and Recycling Guide 2021 delivered to all households in mid January 2021.
- Have green waste out before your scheduled start date for your area. The contractor will only check the verge once and starts at 7am.
- If you are sharing a verge with a neighbour, notify the City before your collection starts.
- Place waste on the verge one metre (1m) back from the kerb, taking care not to obstruct footpaths, bus shelters, line of sight or create a safety hazard.
- Place items clear of vehicles, trees, water meters, fences, letterboxes, reticulation and sprinklers to allow collection without causing damage.
- Make sure there is no more than 6 cubic metres of green waste.
- Excess waste will not be collected (waste over the size limit or volume limit).
- Green waste can be placed out two weeks prior, however is best placed on the verge the weekend prior to your start date.
If you have no verge or live in a battleaxe block, unit, rear collection (laneway) or hills site and are the owner, complete the Nomination for alternative collection location form and send to Waste Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Look up your verge collection zone by starting to enter your house number and street name and wait for a drop down box to appear and select your address.