Do I need approval?

Property owners who want to do building work on their own property may need an ‘owner builder approval. ‘Building work’ is:

  • Work which requires a building permit
  • Is valued at $20,000 or more.

Examples of building work an owner builder approval is required for are:

  • House additions or alterations
  • Habitable freestanding rooms
  • Some incidental buildings, such as a garage or shed.

Eligibility to apply

To be eligible to get an owner builder approval, you must:

  • Be the land owner or have an ‘interest’ in the land. An ‘interest’ is prescribed by the ‘Building Regulations 2012’
  • Be an individual, not a corporate body, trust or other entity
  • Have sufficient knowledge of owner builder responsibilities
  • Not have been granted a building permit as an owner builder in last 6 years
  • Intend to live on or occupy the property, not rent it out.

For detailed information, please visit 'What is an owner builder' by Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. 

How to apply

Applications are handled through the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS). 

To find out more, including the application form and fees, visit the DMIRS Owner Builder webpage.

Page Last Reviewed 24 August 2023