Permanent liquor licence

A liquor licence is required under the Liquor Control Act 1988 by the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor for the sale of liquor from premises.

Prior to submitting an application for a liquor licence, the applicant must seek a Section 39 Certificate and Section 40 Certificate from the City.

Section 39 Certificate

A Section 39 Certificate will be required from the City.  It is granted if the premises comply with the health, food and building legislative requirements.

Section 40 Certificate

In determining an application RGL require a Section 40 Certificate from the City, which confirms the planning/zoning of the area is compatible with the type of liquor licence being applied for.

 The ultimate decision on the issuing of a liquor licence is that of RGL, based on the information provided in the application.

Please see below application forms and information sheets: 

Extending a permanent liquor licence

An Extended Trading Permit (ETP) with RGL is used where a business wishes to extend their liquor trading hours or licensed area. 

See RGL’s One Off Extended Trading Permit & Lodgement Guide.

Event liquor licence

The purpose of an occasional liquor licence is to allow the sale of liquor at a special event that cannot be covered under a permanent liquor licence. The sale of liquor must not be the main purpose of the event. An occasional liquor licence cannot be used to operate a business in place of a permanent licence. For more information see RGL’s Occasional Liquor Licence Lodgement Guide.


Liquor sold at a small once-off function may not require a liquor licence. This includes events for:

  • A maximum of 2 hours (with a maximum of 100 people); or
  • A maximum of 4 hours (with a maximum of 75 people).  

This exemption is intended for small low risk function like a book launch or a small private event. It does not apply in all circumstances, see the information sheet Exemptions to the Liquor Control Act 1988 for more information. 

For more information visit the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

Responsible service of alcohol

The responsible service of alcohol is a key requirement of the Liquor Control Act. It is an offence to sell liquor to a person who is noticeably intoxicated.
All bar staff, managers and licensees must be formally trained in responsible service, including sporting and community clubs.

For more information and details on RSA training please visit the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

Secondary supply laws

Under this law it is an offence for anyone to supply under 18’s with alcohol in a private setting without parental or guardian permission. This offence carries a maximum penalty of $10,000.

Secondary supply law means adults are legally not able to give alcohol to another person’s child, on a private premise, without parental permission.

For detailed information on secondary supply, please visit the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

Page Last Reviewed 23 August 2023