There are many simple changes you can make to lessen the risk of crime in and around your community.
Some general home security tips to be aware of include:
- Ensure doors and windows are locked at all times
- Make sure your house and street number are clearly visible from the street
- Empty your letterbox regularly and make sure it is secured
- Lock all gates, garage doors and sheds when not in use
- Install a monitored alarm system and/or security light to deter intruders
- Ensure doors and windows are fitted with security screens
- Avoid hiding a set of house or car keys outside of your home
- Engrave and photograph your valuables in case of theft
- Record serial numbers of valuables
- Get to know your neighbours
- Become a member of Neighbourhood Watch.
If you are going away:
- Inform your neighbours and get them to keep watch of your property
- Arrange for someone to collect your mail regularly
- Leave a spare set of keys with a friend or family member
- Cancel any regular deliveries such as newspapers
- Set timers for your TV and lights to switch on and off at regular times
- Before you leave ensure all windows and doors are secure.
Engraving your valuables will assist police in the identification of stolen goods so they can be returned.
Residents are able to hire electronic engravers to identify their belongings free of charge from the City’s libraries.
Note, you must be a current library member to hire the equipment.
For more information call or visit one of the following libraries:
Telephone: 9394 5125
Armadale Central Shopping Centre
64/10 Orchard Avenue, Armadale
Telephone: 9394 5810
Stargate Shopping Centre
2784 Albany Highway, Kelmscott