Armadale Gosnells Landcare Group (AGLG), in partnership with the City of Armadale and City of Gosnells, are holding a series of community planting days across the region.
AGLG have secured grant funding to revegetate bushlands and river foreshores of significance within the Cities of Armadale and Gosnells. With over 100,000 seedlings to be planted this year, AGLG need all the help they can get from volunteers.
There are a number of great opportunities for volunteers during the next few months to contribute toward improving their local environment, through planting native seedlings, hand weeding and cleaning up of waterways.
Armadale Mayor Henry Zelones OAM, JP said the AGLG has been working with local community groups and school groups for over 20 years now, to restore the local environment through a variety of projects in our wetlands, rivers and reserves.
“Planting native seedlings and rushes ensures the continuation of natural habitats for native animals such as bandicoots, frogs and the endangered Black Cockatoos.
“All you have to do is turn up wearing suitable clothing, shoes, hats and your water bottle - all equipment and tools are supplied.
“We encourage volunteers to come for a few hours or stay for the whole morning if you have time to spare – as many hands make light work.
“All ages are welcome and no prior tree planting experience is required – if you need any advice you will be shown on the morning.
“Just come along with your family, friends or neighbours and enjoy the great outdoors while you meet some like-minded people and learn a little about native plants,” he said.
The planting days begin at 9am and finish at noon, with morning tea provided at the conclusion.
- Sunday 16 June, Ranford Stream (meet at the end Savage Rd, Kelmscott)
- Sunday 7 July, Araluen Walk Trail (meet at track entrance Thompson Rd, Roleystone)
- Saturday 20 July, Gilwell Ave (meet along Gilwell Ave, Kelmscott)
- Saturday 27 July, Wright Brook (meet cnr Connell & Brookside Ave, Kelmscott)
- Sunday 4 August, Goolamrup Reserve (meet near footbridge over river – park on verge near cnr Buckingham & Roberts Rd and follow concrete track down)
- Sunday 22 September, Palomino Reserve (meet at end Poad St, Champion Lakes)
- Sunday 6 October, Wright Brook (meet cnr Connell & Brookside Ave, Kelmscott)
- Sunday 13 October, Gilwell Ave (meet along Gilwell Ave, Kelmscott)