Voting and Nominating

Voting and Nominating

Is Voting Compulsory?

Voting in Local Government elections is not compulsory however is highly encouraged as it is the most effective way of making a difference in your local community.

Can you Vote or Nominate?

If you wish to vote or nominate within the City of Armadale Council elections you may wish to check you are enrolled to vote by visiting the Western Australian Electoral Commissions website here

Enrolments to vote in the October 2019 local government elections closed 30 August 2019 however electors are encouraged to keep their enrolment details up to date (see how below).

How do you Enrol to Vote or Update Enrolment details?

If you have recently moved or have reached the minimim ago of 18 to vote you can update your enrolment details or register to vote at the Australian Electoral Commissions website here

When is the Last Day to Cast your Vote?

Electors have until 6pm on Saturday 19 October 2019 to vote.

If votes have not been returned by post by Monday 14 October 2019 electors are highly encouraged to hand deliver them to the City of Armadale Administration (address below) to ensure they are received on time and included in the count.

The election count is open to members of the public to observe and occurs after 6pm on 19 October 2019 in the upstairs Function Room at the City of Armadale Administration Centre located 7 Orchard Avenue Armadale.

Enrolment Eligibility to Vote

To be eligible to vote in local government elections you must meet the following criteria;


You are automatically enrolled to vote at local government elections if you are on the State Electoral Roll for a property within the Armadale district for your normal residential address as at 4pm Friday 30 August 2019.

You can check your enrolment details on the State Electoral Roll at the Western Australian Electoral Commissions website or call 13 63 06.

In order to be eligible to vote, you must also:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Be an Australian Citizen
  • Have lived at your present address for at least one month prior to the close of enrolments.

If you are not on the State Electoral Roll but meet the eligibility criteria, or if you have changed address recently, you must register or update your details by any of the following methods:


In Person or Telephone

Non Residents (Owners and Occupiers)

If you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property in the City of Armadale and are on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll, you are eligible to enrol to vote in certain situations:

  • Owners of land who were on the last roll continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable property to which the enrolment relates
  • Occupiers do not have continuous enrolment and should contact the City of Armadale to confirm their enrolment status. To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument for at least the next three months following the date of the application to enrol

If you are not on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll and own or occupy a rateable property in the City of Armadale, in rare instances you may still be eligible to enrol to vote. This applies if you were on the City of Armadale’s last electoral roll prior to May 1996 and have owned or occupied rateable property in the district continuously since this time.

If you wish to check your enrolment on the City of Armadale's owners and occupiers roll please contact the City's rates department on 9394 5000, by email or in person at the City's Administration Centre, 7 Orchard Avenue Armadale.

Applying as a Non-Resident Owner/Occupier

To apply as a non-resident owner/occupier you will need to complete and submit one of the following enrolment eligibility claim forms (see document list to the right).

  • Owners and occupiers
  • Multi-owners
  • Corporations

Enrolment eligibility claim forms must be received by the Chief Executive Officer by 5pm Friday 23 August 2019 to allow sufficient time for processing before the close of rolls on 30 August 2019.

Additional Enrolment Information

Joint Owners/Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners / occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll to enrol to vote as owner / occupier electors.


A body corporate that owns or occupies rateable property in the City may nominate two people who are either on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll to enrol as nominees on the City's Owners and Occupiers Roll. For corporations that own multiple properties in different wards only the same two nominees can vote in each ward.

NOTE: If you are only eligible to vote on the basis of being a nominee of a body corporate under section 4.31 or schedule 9.3 of the Local Government Act 1995, then you are ineligible to be a Councillor.

Enrolment Eligibility to Become a Councillor

To be eligible to be a Councillor you need to be either:

  1. A resident within Armadale (your normal place of residence is within the Armadale district) and you appear on the State Electoral roll as an elector (i.e. enrolled to vote at elections);


  1. A non-resident or occupier provided:
  • You are on the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls for your normal place of residence outside the Armadale district
  • You genuinely own or occupy rateable property in Armadale (e.g. commercial premises by way of legal instrument like a lease for a minimum three month term)
  • You have made a successful eligibility claim form (See enrolment eligibility form links at the top left of this page) with the City’s Rates department that is still current

You must satisfy either of the above requirements and also not be disqualified from being a councillor e.g. a member of parliament, insolvency, convictions, membership of another council, misapplication of funds/property and several others. Other exclusions also apply and are detailed on the nomination form to become a councillor.

Detailed information on your eligibility to vote or become a Councillor is detailed on the Enrolment Eligibility page here

Further Information

If you require further information on voting, enrolments or the City's elections please email the City of Armadale at or by calling 9394 5000 and asking to speak to a Rates or Governance officer.