If you are considering making changes to the landscape of the verge area you should be aware that there are restrictions on what changes can be made.
Verge garden guidelines
- Activities and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law (Local Government Act 1995) outlines what materials are permitted. The entire copy of this local law can be found on the City of Armdale's website - https://www.armadale.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/assets/documents/publications/Activities_and_Trading_in_Thoroughfares_and_Public_Places.pdf
- Policy ENG 6 Street Trees
- If you live within a new development, the developer has included a front lot landscape package as part of the purchase of your new home. As a condition of development and in accordance with the City’s Policy ENG 6 ‘Street Trees’ the City has requested Street trees are installed within the development as a part of the front lot packages.
- Contact Dial Before You Dig before starting any work to help locate any underground services
Consider the following:
- Plants that require low maintenance and water requirements
- Avoid plants that are poisonous or hazardous (i.e. thorns)
- Avoid plants that are weeds or spread (i.e. via suckers or the germination of seeds).
- The Water Corporation's Waterwise Gardens
- Please note that artificial turf is not acceptable on the verge as it is an impervious material.