About Residential Design Codes

The Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) is a State Planning Policy. The R-Codes aim to enhance the amenity of the community. 

Do I need approval?

If a building's design doesn't meet the R-Codes, a variation can be applied for.

Where a proposed design impacts a neighbour, they may need to be consulted. The consultation is for a minimum of calendar 14 days.

Apply for Residential Design Code variation

Minimum requirements for an application are as follows:

  • Completed ‘Residential Design Codes Variation’ application form
  • Supporting documentation:
    • Site plan scale 1:200
    • Floor plan
    • Elevations

Applications can be submitted as follows:

  • An application can be lodged via post or in person
  • The City does not offer online submission for building applications. 

Application fees

The applicable fee must be paid on application submission. 

More information

For further information, visit the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage website. 

Page Last Reviewed 31 January 2020