Planning FAQs

Planning FAQs

Clearance Fees - What are the City's subdivision clearance fees?

The City's Subdivision Clearance Fees for each deposited plan are as per the City's Schedule of Fees and Charges. A copy of the City's Schedule of Fees and Charges can be obtained from the Planning section of the City's website or the City's Administration Building.

Commercial Vehicle (Truck) Parking- Can I park a Truck at my house?

Development Envelopes

A development envelope is a specifically designated area within which all buildings and structures are to be contained on a property. Development envelopes are most commonly placed on properties to conserve existing vegetation on site. Vegetation situated outside the development envelope must not be cleared without written approval from the City of Armadale, except for installing fire breaks or in accordance with an approved Fire Management Plan. A development envelope is additional to setback requirements.

Applications to modify or relocate an envelope may be considered by the City however, applicants are required to comply with Local Planning Policy PLN 2.1: Establishment or Variation of Development Envelope Locations. Refer to Development Envelopes for further information.

Footpath Contributions

The footpath cash-in-lieu payment per grouped dwelling unit is currently $337.50 (i.e. five metres of footpath at $67.50 per metre.  Note: this amount is subject to change without further notice). Payment of the footpath contribution is to be forwarded to the City quoting the City's development approval reference number, the address of the property and the landowner's details, so the City can maintain appropriate records of compliance conditions.

Clause 4.1.7 of the Local Planning Policy PLN 3.1: Residential Density Development specifies that:

"To facilitate improvements to the City's footpath network, development taking advantage of the higher code in dual coded areas and development within areas coded R40 will be required as a condition of development to make a contribution to the City's footpath fund on the basis of the estimated cost of constructing five meters of footpath for every additional unit proposed for the site. Contributions should generally be expended in the locality within which the contribution has been made."

Landscaping - What are the landscaping requirements for non-residential development?

Landscaping is to be provided and maintained to enhance visual amenity and contribute towards the achievement of high environmental standards on all development sites.

Refer Clauses 4C.5 and 4D.4 of the City's Town Planning Scheme No.4, Clause 4.6 of the City's Local Planning Policy PLN 4.1: The Design of Industrial Estates, and the City’s Landscaping Information Sheets on Unit Developments, Industrial and Commercial and Screening.

Maps - What maps can be obtained at the City?

Planning Services can provide a variety of maps and information in varying sizes. Such maps can include cadastral information, planning scheme zones and residential codes. Costs will depend on size and content and are charged at cost. Alternatively, maps can be printed through the City's Online Mapping tool.

Parking - What is the car parking requirement for non-residential development?

Refer to Schedule 7A of Town Planning Scheme No.4.

Public Open Space (POS) Cash-in-Lieu Valuations

Residential Density - What is residential density?

Residential density is identified by a series of numbers within the residential zone on the Town Planning Scheme map and/or specified on an adopted Structure Plan. These numbers are derived from a State Government document called the State Planning Policy 3.1 - Residential Design Codes (or the R-Codes for short.)

This document is available from the Western Australian Planning Commission at

Schools – What Schools are in the City of Armadale?

For information on Government Schools  contact the Department of Education on 9264 4111 or

For information on Non-Government Schools contact the Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia (Inc.) on 9441 1600 or

Street Numbering

The City endeavours to maintain accurate address data to ensure that the requirements of Emergency Service Responders and other service providers are met.

Information Sheet – Street Numbering
Local Law – Street numbering

Subdivision - How do I lodge a Subdivision Application?

Applications for subdivision are made to the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC). The WAPC is the authority responsible for determining all subdivision/amalgamation and survey strata applications. Application forms can be downloaded from For further information refer to Subdivision Process.

Subdivision - How do I lodge a subdivision clearance application?

The City's application for subdivision clearance, clearance guidelines and example clearance checklist can be obtained from the Subdivision section here.

Town Planning Scheme - Can I purchase a copy of the City's Town Planning Scheme Text?

The City's Town Planning Scheme No.4 text is available for purchase from City's Administration Office. The cost of the text is as per the City's Schedule of Fees and Charges. The schedule can be obtained from the City's Administration office or the Planning Information Sheets, Forms and Fees section of the City's website. Alternatively, the City's Town Planning Scheme No.4 text can be downloaded and printed from the City's website at no cost.

TPS Gazettal Dates - What is the gazettal date of Town Planning Scheme (TPS) No.?

Town Planning Scheme No.4 – Gazetted 4 November 2005.

Town Planning Scheme No.3 – Gazetted 16 October 1992.

Town Planning Scheme No.2 – Gazetted 18 October 1985.

Town Planning Scheme No.1 – Gazetted 5 April 1973.

Tree Preservation Orders

The City’s Town Planning Scheme No.4 provides a number of mechanisms to protect significant trees or groups of trees. Tree Preservation Orders (TPO) is one mechanism which allows the City to serve a notice requiring landholders to preserve a tree or group of trees under Clause 80A of Schedule A. This notice prevents landholders from cutting, removing or otherwise destroying any preserved tree unless the City grants approval or rescinds the notice or order.

The issuing of a TPO is used when the tree in question is of such significance that additional protection is warranted. The tree must meet at least one significance criteria as provided in the City’s Local Planning Policy PLN 2.4: Tree Preservation, including:

  1. Heritage Significance
  2. Species Significance
  3. Location, Landscape and Landmark Significance.

If the tree(s) meets one or more of these criteria, the condition of the tree(s) and its existing and potential impacts are assessed.

Any person may request that the City investigate the significance of a tree with a view to issuing a notice under Clause 80A of Schedule A of Town Planning Scheme No. 4. Such requests should be prepared with detailed justification using the form provided in Local Planning Policy PLN 2.4: Tree Preservation as linked below. The City may issue the TPO or decline to do so.

Local Planning Policy PLN 2.4: Tree Preservation
Tree Register Nomination Form

Zoning - What is a property zoning?

Zoning refers to a property's classification under a  Town Planning Scheme (TPS) or an adopted Structure Plan. Examples of zonings include Residential, Rural Living, General Industrial and District Centre. The City's Town Planning Scheme No.4 defines the objectives of each Zone and the Zoning Table provides details on the uses allowed in each zone.

Zoning Table - What is a zoning table? What "uses" are permitted on my land?

The zoning table indicates, subject to all the provisions of the Town Planning Scheme No.4 (TPS), the uses permitted in the various zones. A copy of the zoning table is located in Part 3 – Zones and The Use of Land of the City's Town Planning Scheme No.4, with the definitions for each use located in Schedule 1.