The City's Town Planning Department promotes high standards of development and appropriate environmentally sustainable uses of land within the City of Armadale through the City's Town Planning Scheme No.4, which is to be read in conjunction with the Local Planning Strategy, Local Planning Policies and the Deemed Provisions (as set out in the Schedule 2 of the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015).
The Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority (MRA) has planning control over the balance of land within the City's boundaries, including the following precincts:
- Armadale Central - West of Commerce Avenue
- Kelmscott - portion bound by Albany Highway, Railway Avenue and Davis Road, including a southern part of Third Avenue
- Champion Lakes
- Champion Drive
- Forrestdale Business Park East
- Forrestdale Business Park West
- Wungong Urban - including Hilbert and Haynes, south of Armadale Road, east of Tonkin Hwy and south of Eighth and Roads.
The Introduction to the Western Australian Planning System document prepared by the State Government describes the various roles, responsibilities and functions of the key players actively involved in the planning system. The document describes the procedures for subdivision and amendments to the Metropolitan Regional Scheme (MRS) and Town Planning Scheme (TPS).