Litter and Illegal Dumping
The City encourages residents and visitors to help keep our natural environment clean and litter free. Littering is an offence under the Litter Act 1979 and the City's Rangers issue fines to offenders.
People illegally dumping waste in bushland areas or on road verges may receive a $500 on the spot fine. Under the Litter Act 1979 they could also face prosecution and incur a fine of up to $5000.
Residents with any concerns or enquiries can contact the City's Ranger Services Department on 9394 5000 during normal office hours.
Help us keep our City beautiful by:
- depositing all litter in the bin
- not depositing commercial or domestic waste in public litter bins
- ensuring goods carried on trailers, utes and trucks are covered and properly secured
- ensuring building site waste does not affect your neighbours
- not removing shopping trolleys from shopping centre car parks
- reporting abandoned vehicles.
For details about offences, penalties and reporting visit the Keep Australia Beautiful Council website.
The City holds impounded vehicles for minimum of 60 days in line with the Local Government Act 1995. If the owner does not claim the vehicle during this period the vehicle is then disposed.