Find out if you are eligible to vote and nominate to become a Councillor.

How to enrol to vote

Eligibility criteria

You are automatically enrolled to vote at local government elections if you are on the State Electoral Roll for a property within the Armadale district for your normal residential address. In the 2019 local government elections this must have occured by 4pm Friday 30 August 2019.

In order to be eligible to vote, you must also:

  • Be an Australian Citizen
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Have lived at your present address for at least one month prior to the close of enrolments.

Register or update your enrolment details

If you are not on the State Electoral Roll but meet the eligibility criteria, or if you have changed address recently, you must register or update your details by any of the following methods:

Enrol online or over the phone

To register or update your enrolment details on the State Electoral Roll please call 13 63 06 or visit the Australian Electoral Commission website.

Enrol in person

To register or update your enrolment details in person please visit your nearest Centrelink or Australia Post. 

You can also enrol to vote at the City of Armadale Administration Centre, 7 Orchard Avenue, Armadale.

How to become a Councillor

To be eligible to be a councillor you need to be either:

A resident within Armadale (your normal place of residence is within the Armadale district) and you appear on the State electoral roll (i.e. you are enrolled to vote at elections).


A non-resident or occupier provided:

  • You are on the State or Commonwealth electoral rolls for your normal place of residence outside the Armadale district
  • You genuinely own or occupy rateable property in Armadale (e.g. commercial premises by way of legal instrument like a lease for a minimum three month term)
  • You have made a successful eligibility claim form (see enrolment eligibility form) with the City’s Rates department that is still current.

You must satisfy either 1 or 2 of the above requirements and must not be disqualified from being a councillor (e.g. a member of parliament, insolvency, convictions, membership of another council, misapplication of funds/property, etc.).

Important election dates

The City of Armadale ordinary elections will be held on Saturday 19 October 2019. Other important dates are as follows:

Event Date
Electoral roll Closes 30 August 2019 5:00pm
Nominations Open 5 September 2019
Close 12 September 2019 at 4:00pm
Ballot papers Posted from 25 September 2019
Voting Closes 19 October 2019 at 6:00pm
Count* Starts 19 October from 6.30pm

The vote count is open to the public and will be conducted at the City of Armadale Administration Building, Function Room, 7 Orchard Avenue, Armadale WA.

Online nominations, forms and guides

Prior to nominating candidates must:

The Western Australian Electoral Commission also makes available for download the relevant local government forms and guides.

Non-resident owner/occupiers

Non Residents (Owners and Occupiers)

If you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property in the City of Armadale and are on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll, you are eligible to enrol to vote in certain situations:

  • Owners of land who were on the last roll continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable property to which the enrolment relates
  • Occupiers do not have continuous enrolment and should contact the City of Armadale to confirm their enrolment status. To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument for at least the next three months following the date of the application to enrol.

If you are not on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll and own or occupy a rateable property in the City of Armadale, in rare instances you may still be eligible to enrol to vote. This applies if you were on the City of Armadale’s last electoral roll prior to May 1996 and have owned or occupied rateable property in the district continuously since this time.

If you wish to check your enrolment on the City of Armadale's owners and occupiers roll please contact the City's Rates department by email at or by calling 9394 5000 and asking to speak to a Rates Officer about your enrolment.

Applying as a Non-Resident Owner/Occupier

To apply as a non-resident owner/occupier you will need to complete and submit one of the following enrolment eligibility claim forms (see document list to the right).

  • Owners and occupiers
  • Multi-owners
  • Corporations

Enrolment eligibility claim forms must be received by the Chief Executive Officer by 5pm Friday 23 August 2019 to allow sufficient time for processing before the close of rolls on 30 August 2019.

Joint Owners/Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners / occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll to enrol to vote as owner / occupier electors.


A body corporate that owns or occupies rateable property in the City may nominate two people who are either on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll to enrol as nominees on the City's Owners and Occupiers Roll. For corporations that own multiple properties in different wards only the same two nominees can vote in each ward.

NOTE: If you are only eligible to vote on the basis of being a nominee of a body corporate under section 4.31 or schedule 9.3 of the Local Government Act 1995, then you are ineligible to be a Councillor.

Returning Officer

The Returning Officer for the elections is Mr Jeff Solliss. Mr Sollis can be contacted on 0408 912 306 or by email

More information and contact

For more information about Council elections please visit the Mayor, Councillors and Wards page.

For all general election enquiries please contact the City at or by calling (08) 9394 5000 and asking to speak to a Governance Officer.

Page Last Reviewed 14 October 2019