It is hard to tell if a material contains asbestos by looking at it. If the material was installed prior to 1990, treat is as though it does contain asbestos. Find out more asbestos containing products,
The Armadale Landfill and Recycling Facility accepts asbestos. The facility is open Monday to Saturday, 8.30am to 12.30pm.
Loads requiring forklift handling will be elevated on pallets or gluts. The driver will assess if the load is safe to move.
Remember, you must be licensed to dispose of more than 10 square metres of bonded (non-friable) asbestos. Ensure you have your licence with you.
To prepare asbestos for disposal, you must:
- Bundle asbestos no higher than 60 cm, or a maximum of 15 sheets
- Double wrap the asbestos using heavy-duty plastic (0.2 mm thick)
- Securely tape wrapped asbestos with heavy-duty tape eg. gaffer tape
- Ensure no asbestos material is exposed, including corners
- Attach a ‘CAUTION ASBESTOS’ label using lettering at least 5 cm high.
If you have more than one bundle, ensure they are secured together once wrapped.